Thursday, October 18, 2012

Palate Surgery Date

Well we finally got scheduled for Yaya’s second surgery to close her palate and reconnect the muscles in her soft palate that will allow her to talk. It will January 7, 2013. This is going to be hard surgery. It is a hard recovery and for two weeks they say that she will be miserable. But after that it slowly gets better. I am not looking forward to this surgery. However, I can’t wait till she can start speech therapy and learn how to talk. I know I should be careful what I ask for in that once she starts talking…she may never quit! But I’ll take it nonetheless. Her “pre-op” appointment is on December 13th. Ugh. I really don’t like the pre-op. It is required by law for insurance and it has us in the clinic for like 3 hours seeing a host of doctors that we really don’t need to see but that are required. I know we will of course see Dr. Grant our surgeon, an ENT again, Speech/path person, audiologist, and maybe and OT or PT person…then they send us to anesthesia who sends us home to call us later for information. And did I mention they ALL wear white coats and Yaya has a strong aversion to white coat people. C’est la vie. So keep us in your prayers,

  • Please pray specifically that our attachment issues fade and that she gets closer and closer to us.
  • Pray that she will not have to be in the arm restraints post op.
  • Pray that she will not have any side effects to the new pain medicine she will be trying out (She can’t do Tylenol with Codeine we discovered from the first surgery.)
  • Pray that her pain will super-naturally abate quickly.
  • Pray that she will eat for us soon after surgery.
  • Pray for her to be able to sleep.
  • Pray that we will be able to sleep!
  • Pray for Noah and Eden as they will once again have to take a back seat to their new sibling.
  • Pray for those helping us take care of Eden and Noah, namely my parents.
  • Pray for Eric and I, and pray protection on our marriage; Satan seems to like to attack during times such as these.
  • Pray for quick and complete healing.

Thanks friends! Blessings!

3 comments:

  1. I'm praying too! Palate surgery is a hard two weeks.
    Maria
    www.matthiaszoo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her lip is looking great! Yes, the palate surgery is not fun, but so necessary as you well know. :P For what it's worth, our surgeon doesn't put toddlers in arm restraints because of the danger of falling and hurting their arms as they walk about. To make myself feel better/safer, I removed ALL tiny toys that would fit in her mouth for those first weeks/months home...which is admittedly harder with older kids in the house! On the cl/cp page on my blog I have info on the liquid diet, if you think it would be helpful.

    ReplyDelete