Thursday, August 15, 2013

Fourth Grade

First week of Homeschool completed…check!

IMG_5820IMG_5817

For those of you who do not know yet, I am homeschooling Noah and hope to do so until he graduates high school. I am currently sold on the concept and I have an incredible co-op that I am involved with called Classical Conversations. A-MAZING! We start C. C. on Wednesday the 21st. It is a one day a week co-op that Noah and I attend and we get to learn together! But this week we started what I like to call Homeschool Lite. It was a week where I got to test out what we were gonna do and see if it would work. Monday was disastrous. Plus, the girls are here with us and it makes it almost impossible to teach Noah with the girls around. The problem with Monday…no schedule. My son has been working independently for several years from a schedule in his Montessori experiences. So Monday night, I sat down with all our curriculum and figured out what we really were going to use. I was focused on making a workable schedule for our day. What ended up transpiring was that I boxed up $300.00 worth of curriculum and sent it back for a refund! Once I let go of the stuff I really didn’t need or want, and decided to trash the schedule that came with that curriculum I was able to make our schedule for the entire week in about 20 minutes! So freeing! We will spend about 1.5 hours on things like faith building, math, reading, science, handwriting, art, read-alouds, and about another 1.5 hours with our C.C. curriculum making a 3 hour day for us. Perfection. Preschool will enrapture Eden and Yaya for 4 hours each day so with travel time removed it leaves Noah and I, 3 hours to work alone. I love it when a plan comes together! As for the rest of our week it was GREAT! Noah’s response, ‘I LOVE IT! I mean, I miss my Montessori friends and all, but I’m making new ones in C.C. I loved C.C.!”

IMG_5821

(Working on Math, Teaching Textbooks

IMG_5815

(Check out Noah’s back to school clothes…yep…new pj’s!)

We had student/parent orientation tonight…he got to meet the other kids in his class and his tutor. The tutor is another Mom with a child in the program who was trained to present the information that Noah and I will be working on at home together. He is really excited. He will be in a class of 8 kids from 9:30 –12. Then we break for lunch and recess. After this, he and I will attend a grammar, math skills, and writing class from 1-3 pm. It is all very fun and engaging and we are both looking forward to being in the classroom learning together!

My Mom is here helping me out with the girls this week and the times Noah and I have gotten to be alone together to learn have been wonderful. Thrilled to be doing this with him, I am! Preschool will start on the 28th so we will have to figure out how to work around the girls for a week and a half but we will manage. Things will get a little hairier with the onset of preschool as we will all have to be back on a morning routine in order to get the girls to school on time. However, I wait with great expectation for the 28th to see how things will really play out in our home. It’s gonna be a wild ride this fall! So pumped!

No comments:

Post a Comment