Thursday, September 13, 2012

Later that evening…

So we were having such a great day as stated in the previous post. So we felt that it would be okay for me to go to youth group that evening. I normally leave around 7:00 pm to come home, which puts me home about 7:30 pm. I was still there at 8:10 pm and my phone rang. It was Eric asking where Yaya’s old night clothes were because she was refusing the larger size that my Mom just hemmed up a bit for her. Her old ones are too small her new ones are too big…you know the deal. So Mom tacked up the new ones in the legs a bit. It told Eric where to find them and asked if he was okay. He sounded a bit harried but he stated he was trying to get the girls down and that was all. He didn’t ask me to come home. So at 9:45 pm I walk in the house, knowing full well that by now the girls are down and Noah is likely down as well. I walk in the door and look to my right to see Eden sitting on the couch eating a bag of Skittles. Noah is in the recliner with his sunglasses on rocking; both are watching Phineas and Ferb at a high volume. The living room is a wreck. They both greet me with a cheery…”Hi Mom!” I pass into the kitchen where a bomb clearly has gone off and I gaze past it all into the playroom where the the tornado clearly has hit. In the middle of it all is Eric sitting cross-legged with Yaya in his lap and he is rocking back and forth. I take this all in, in an instant and I bust out laughing hysterically and really to me Eric seems to be curled in the fetal position sucking his thumb rather than sitting in the middle of the room. I spun around in a circle and said, “My Mom just left not 6 hours ago, what in the world?” (My Mom keeps this place ship shape when she is here, fyi.)  I quickly pulled myself together and sat calmly down in front of him and asked…”So…what’s going on?” Eric sounding totally frazzled  (actually sounding more like me than himself) begins with, “She won’t go to sleep! She won’t do anything! She freaks out if I try to put any clothes on her! If I even pick up the new jammies she screams AND forget the crib, she goes nuclear if put her in there AND I promised Eden I’d read with her!” I looked into his wild eyes and said, “What can I do for you? Do you want me to put Eden to bed then address Yaya?” As I was finishing my sentence Eric cut in with, “NO! I’m done. I’ve had my limit of her, I’m full up.” I reach for Yaya fearing the worst but she made only a small sound of protest. Eric bolts from the room. I undress Yaya who wanted to fuss, but I talked with her and told her she was a silly billy and and played with her and she came around. I got her new jammies out and put them on her easy peasy and then I took her down stairs and put her in her crib where she made not one sound and fell asleep with in 30 seconds. Total time spent with her was about 4 minutes from the time I took her from Eric to coming back up stairs after she fell asleep. If Eric wasn’t so grateful to be relieved of her I think he might have punched me in the liver. Eric ended up getting some really good, him and Eden time, even though it was like 11 pm before they both stopped giggling in her room. I got Noah down about 10:30 and then came out to the playroom to take this picture. I wish I could have made Eric sit on the floor like when I found him, but that would have been to much.

IMG_2383

Those of you that know Eric and I well, know that this evening was such a role reversal for he and I, and really, I had a great laugh at my poor husbands expense. The laugh was on me the next day, however, when I had to straighten up the entire house…it wasn’t as funny then.

1 comment:

  1. Poor Eric! What a night! Clearly, Yaya has him wrapped around her little finger! Oh and what a sweet surprise from your friend!

    ReplyDelete