Thursday, January 3, 2013

Surgery Update…boooooo

Hello friends, those of you that are still hanging around…bless you. I have an unfortunate update to post tonight. Yaya got the flu over Christmas and so her surgery had to be postponed. It is a rule from the anesthesia department that you have to wait 4 to 6 weeks after the flu before they will put children under anesthesia. Sigh. So I left multiple messages with the cleft clinic hoping to get at date closer to the 4 weeks time frame opposed to the 6 weeks. Well we ended up with 8 weeks! When I heard this news this morning I could not have been any more distressed. Yaya WANTS TO TALK!! I mean badly! She is talking, only, it is almost impossible to understand her if she doesn’t use sign. Some words we are used to now and she is using them more. My heart is so heavy. I know that God clearly knows something we do not know and so he is giving us this time, not wasting it. My best friend called me tonight and I think she had a solid explanation as to why we are being gifted this time. I have to think on it more before I post it though. God is just cool that way to send along messages in the voices of those that we love dearly. So thanks Cathy.

There is the off chance that there could be a cancellation…i.e. a child gets the flu and has to cancel or something else bizarre, but I don’t want to wish a postponed surgery date on any family with a child needing surgery…or adult for that matter. So I wait and trust that one day Yaya will talk…eat real food…climb up and down stairs safely…go to school…enjoy a babysitter…these things I know will come. Our burden is so light I really can’t complain…well I could and often do but really I ought naught to.

Yaya is in early intervention for her lagging gross motor skills and can I tell you she is in love with her PT girl, Katie. We all are. She is wonderful. She did a house visit this past Wednesday and Yaya was beside herself when she saw Katie at the door. What a gift Ms. Katie is to our family. Katie and I are gonna get my little girl up to speed! So glad to be working with the people from Hand in Hand.

Yaya’s ears are a source of concern lately. We think she has an ear infection that even antibiotics aren’t touching and she is constantly complaining that her ears hurt. We know they are full, jam-packed with wax and the tubes aren’t working. I don’t think we can wait till Feb. 25 to do something about them. I don’t want her to have to go under anesthesia twice in two months time, but I’m pretty sure we can’t let this continue for her. So more news on that later, when I know more news on that.

It’s late and Yaya and I have our last attachment therapy session tomorrow at 8 am. From here on out we can go see the therapist as needed or for maintenance. We have all the tools we need to progress from here on out and really, Yaya is doing pretty well now. We are far from a date night or a weekend getaway without Yaya but we are bonding better we feel and we are hopeful that her anxiety is lessening some. Keep praying for a strong healthy attachment between me and Yaya and then Eric and Yaya.

2 comments:

  1. You had me at "enjoy a babysitter". Yes, one day she will enjoy and do tons of NORMAL things. Whata sweet day those will be :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still hanging around and I love reading your updates! I'm praying that Yaya stays healthy for her surgery. The progress you've made in the 7 months is amazing! Love reading about your faith and persistence!

    ReplyDelete