Sunday, July 8, 2012

Nothing says “Birthday” like ER visit…

 

IMG_1820

Well, welcome to 40. Hooray. Yippee. Woot. Woot. Sigh. So I woke up the Friday of my big “Girl’s Weekend” and I felt…well…horrible. I was tired and somewhat achy but I attributed it to a night of waking a couple times with Yaya. As I was waiting in the driveway to pull out my Father actually asked me, “Are you okay to drive?” I scoffed saying it was nothing and began the 2 hour drive to my parents house at the lake. I must say it took me more than 2 hours and I kept finding my mind drifting and my speed slowing. I listened to my Steven Curtis Chapman playlist and worshiped while I drove…drove slow that is. I arrived at the lake and all I could think of was…I have to lie down, I can’t stay up. I lay down on the bed upstairs for a little while then thought…I should go get in my bed downstairs. I went down and stayed in bed for 3.5 hours. I forced myself awake and was freezing. I found an old jersey zip up jacked and headed upstairs. I tried to eat something but ended up pushing it away and literally lying my head on the table. I headed outside to the porch and knew I was likely in trouble when I was cold in the 90 degree weather when the warm summer breeze blew. I kept the jacket on. After an hour, I physically could barely sit up in a chair I was so exhausted and aching so badly, so I went back to the upstairs bed. An hour later my sweet dear friend Ana showed up. She looked a me and put her hand to my forehead and said, “You have a fever go find a thermometer.” I whined that I didn’t want to do that, but went in search of the old school thermometer of my childhood…good ole’ mercury and glass. I shook it down and put it under my tongue and actually said, “Ana how long do you keep these in…they don’t beep.” We laughed and decided it was 2-3 minutes. After such time it read…100.8. Nice. It’s 5 pm on a Friday and I think I might be dying…no doc in the box here in Dadeville, AL, (population 2,000) is open past 5 pm. So we are off to the Dadeville ER. It wasn’t far and it is was tiny. We actually passed it thinking the signage looked more like a Vet Clinic, but no…it was the ER. Swabbed, poked, prodded, pee’d in a cup, one weird interaction with a poor drug seeking diabetic man with his knuckles rotting off and 3.5 hours later we left. And NOTHING was found. Dehydration, exhaustion, stress and what was likely a nasty little virus was the diagnosis. I got an antibiotics prescription and began drinking copious amounts of water.

When Ana and I arrived back at the lake house my other dear friends Holly and Cathy were already there. Everyone was so sweet and waited on me hand and foot. I have awesome friends!! I felt better just knowing that I wasn’t dying and having my girls with me. Ana, God love her, had twisted her ankle a couple days before and really needed to prop it up and rest herself but ended up cooking us dinner at 8 pm. Then she made homemade cinnamon rolls at like 11 pm so they could rise over night! Can I tell you they were fabulous and now Holly wants to be a farmers wife…but that is a whole different blog post. All three ladies brought and cooked all the meals, it was so nice. I didn’t sleep much that night but did awake feeling more rested and better. The weekend was still awesome even though I had to lay down a bit. Of course it wasn’t like we did anything. Lying around and chatting was pretty much the agenda. We didn’t even make it to the water to float around. Holly and Ana were able to stay another night and we didn’t leave until Sunday afternoon. It was a wonderful time with my dearest friends. Ana even baked me a cake! My girls got me gift cards for Pink, DSW, and Starbucks!! Oh yeah!

What a blessing I have in these 3 Godly women. Being able to share in their lives and have them share in mine is a gift beyond words. It is an honor to stand in the trenches with them and a joy to share in their triumphs. We must gather together like this more often, it is so good for our souls; and for our families!

While I was gone, my family back home fell apart without me…yeah right, as if! They did so fabulous it almost gave me a complex. Hope began walking independently all over the house on the Friday I left and slept through the night without waking both nights. Upon my return, she was clingy, woke up several times and had a night terror. Nice. I can’t help but think it is ME! But in all seriousness, it was good to know that I can get away and my family is happy and well cared for. All in all, despite the crazy sickness, it was a wonderful 40th birthday celebration. The only thing that would have made it better would have been time with my amazing husband, the man who actually let me go away for 3 days.

God is good, friends, God is so good.

IMG_1826

IMG_1831

IMG_1832

No comments:

Post a Comment